Saturday, May 9, 2009

I Do and I Do Too Part One

I hadn't dated anyone in three years. No hand holding . No Kisses. No Nothing.
I had a Lifetime Mini Series befall me. The guy I thought I love truly, madly, deeply ..the one I helped through chiropractic college (meaning I worked three jobs)took up with another girl in our Atlanta townhouse. All the gory detail are macabre and typical. It all ended with me dropping my Swedish sister, Liselotte off at the airport and driving home to catch the two going at it in the apartment. My family came to Atlanta and moved me home to Charleston. The mini series part ... I was critically ill and soon to have one five hour surgery, two chemical treatments, and two more surgeries to finish. Six months later I was WELL..physically, but I was a million miles from all better..um you can imagine. I was drowning in medical debt, my heart was broken and I was working in a children's shelter. I was not making ends meet and, literally, being taken care of by my family.

Being a good southern girl, reared in the buckle of the bible belt, I KNEW me some GOD. I hung out with him at least three times a week growing up. When I lost everything(my health, my independence, my love) I turned to a God. I realized I did not know who God really was. I read every religious writing(from every culture and group including the Book Of Shadows) I could get my hands on. I cried, no I wailed..rolled in the floor and per my sisters, foamed at the mouth. I got a seven or was it eight dollar an hour a job, the amount is inconsequential, to help out a little with the expenses piling up. I went through a "dark night of the soul" and there were no angels singing or light, suddenly, shooting out of anything especially me! Where was God?.I found him at the childrens shelter for which I worked. We would pray,we, being the children and I, secretly and miracles of biblical proportion(another story altogether)we'd received. I saw God in the faces of those children. My soul started to heal but my heart was a HOT MESS. I made a "What I want in a man" list in an almost disrespectful way, including things like good kisser, dark hair, a little rough around the edges in a manly way, YES, I am sure you get the idea, and poked it in my bible. --Whatever God-- was my attitude.
I was transferred by the liberal arts college for which I worked to an upstate rural town. I could not believe God was allowing this to happen to me. I was just beginning to find myself and I did not want to move.
I loved working with the students. Everything else, including love, was a none issue. My sisters discovered they were pregnant within seven weeks of each other. TA DAH I had something for which to live and love.
A Canadian,former student and lacrosse player moved back to teach and coach lacrosse. It barely made a ripple on the surface of my world. An "on campus" apartment opened up. I would need a roommate. I went to Converse College and swore the moment I graduated I would never live with a woman(other than my sisters) again. As I am sure you have guessed ..Coach Nasato need a place to live. I was not attracted to him and he was off women.(women were crazy, manipulative, heartless,cruel,thoughtless,controlling,users....wenches)
We moved in together. Because there was no spark we spent hours drinking wine, listening to music and purging all the ugly from our past. We became close friends.
Eventually we fell in love. I found the list in my bible. He fit the list to a T(what does that really mean!!)
....and there you have it...THANK YOU GOD FOR ANSWERED PRAYERS

1 comment: